Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Fritters

Favorite Fall Foods

My pumpkin pie spice has found it's way to the front of the cupboard.  I'm stocked with all the ingredients for chili...several pots.  I've pulled out all my recipes that include apples.  Fall comfort foods, at its finest.

Last week, I had 4 medium Granny Smith apples that needed using.  So, I came up with this recipe & boy, was it a hit.  It's what I call a 'cheater' recipe.  Ya know, the kind of recipe that requires minimal effort & uses ready-made ingredients.  Sandra Lee would be all over this recipe (Semi-Homemade Cooking w/Sandra Lee) ;)

I decided to call these Apple Fritters...& here's my recipe:

Peel and chop 4 med. apples. 
I used Granny Smith, but whatever you have on hand will work.
In small bowl, toss apples w/ 2 Tbsp. sugar & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. 
You can adjust the sugar/cinnamon to your liking.
Fry apples in sm. skillet coated w/cooking spray to desired doneness, adding in 1 Tbsp. butter.
Cool apples.
After apples are cooled, open 2 cans of biscuits (the small ones).
Flatten each biscuit until it's about the size of an English muffin.
Top 10 of the biscuit rounds w/ a heaping Tbsp. of the chopped apples.


Use the 10 remaining biscuit rounds to top each fritter & use a fork to seal edges.
Fry the fritters in 2 Tbsp. of canola oil over low-med. heat til browned on both sides.
While hot, dust w/mixture of cinnamon & sugar (or powdered sugar).

Not only do these look all cute & 'homemade', they taste delicious!
My boys, all 4 of them, gobbled them up! 
I have a feeling these lil' fritters will be requested often.

Happy Fall, Y'all =)

3 comments:

  1. i made some of these the same day as your post. didn't have bisquits so i used crescent rolls instead. i've made them before, but not with the cinnamon sugar dusting. they were quite the hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everyone enjoyed them. I'll have to try the cresent rolls...sounds yummy too.

    ReplyDelete