Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Restaurant-Style White Cheese

Que paso, amigos!
I'm fixing to tell you something, folks, that's ganna blow your mind.
{Take a second or two to prepare for getting your mind blown.}
Not joking.
I've been telling my friends about this for a few years now & they love me for life.
Not sure why I'm just now getting around to sharing this with you,
but I beg your pardon, I do.

Ya know there's about a 1001 blogs & pins for queso, white cheese, whatever you wanna call it, right?
They all claim to be the best ever ... the easiest ever ... the most authentic ... so on & so forth.
You get the gist.

Well, that's all fine & good ... but this awesome cheese from good old Kroger
checks all those boxes and then some.



It blows the Velvetta brand right out of the water, in my opinion.
You must give this a try.

Here's how I use it:
I put the whole block in a microwavable bowl & add about 1 cup of water.
Yes, water.
You could add milk {& I did until I decided water was best} but that only adds calories.
This cheese is rich & flavorful enough on it's own.
The purpose in adding the water is to thin it down, otherwise it's so thick you can get if off the spoon.
I zap it for 3-4 minutes, then I stir it well.
I usually do this twice to get it to melt down completely.

Using about 1 cup of water is the consistency we prefer,
but you can play with it to get it just how you like it.
Course, as it cools, it gets really thick.
Zap it in the microwave & it'll be all perfect again.

Our favorite way to serve this is on Loaded Nachos.
Spoon this over chips & then we add on our favorite toppings:
guacamole, salsa, onion, sour cream, lettuce, jalapenos, refried beans & seasoned ground beef.
It's a quick & easy meal ... & tastes just as good as our favorite Mexican restaurant.
That's a win-win, for sure!

I often serve it alongside other Mexican dishes, like enchiladas & tacos.
It's nice to drizzle it across, well, just about anything ;)

So, there ya go!
Trust me ... make this & you'll thank me.
We'll be BFFLs all because of this cheese ... promise.







Who doesn't love a good party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.

Monday          C.R.A.F.T      The Dedicated House  I Should Be Mopping the Floor
                  Between Naps on the Porch  The Modest Mom
Tuesday     A Delightsome Life   A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                    The Thrifty Home  The Dedicated House    A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday    Between Naps on the Porch   Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday      Rooted in Thyme  The Thrifty Groove   Farm Blog Hop  Best of the Nest
               French Country Cottage  The Girl Creative
Sunday    Nifty Thrifty Things    Suburbsmama    Sew Many Ways

6 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Going to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh because I've tried several of those Pinterest recipes for "restaurant-style white cheese dip" and I've not been happy with ANY of them. Several months ago I tried melting the same Kroger cheese you use and LOVED it! It's definitely the closest to the real thing I've ever tried, so forget all those complicated recipes! But I've never tried melting it in the microwave all at once or mixing it with water instead of milk. I'll definitely be trying it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like the tip! It's easier than anything, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. I love little tips like this!! I don't have Kroger where I live (MA) but I'll have to look around and see if my grocery stores carry something similar. It would be fun to have in the house for nachos for the endless stream of teenagers that are always in my kitchen!! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes -- you may find the Velveeta white cheese & that would probably be a good substitute. I don't like it as well as the Kroger brand {Kroger brand is more flavorful} but I'd use it if I didn't have another! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete