Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easy Fried Chicken



Fried Chicken.  
Comfort food at it's finest.  
And, it's easy.  
That's right, it's easy.
The #1 tip for good fried chicken:  Don't get in a hurry!
Low & slow is key.

Here's what you need:

1 frying chicken, cut up
1 1/2 c. self-rising flour
salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika
canola oil

You can decide whether you want the skin on or off.
I do it both ways ... based on whatever mood I'm in.
The bonus for leaving it off:  less calories/fat
The bonus for leaving it on:  crisps up a bit more ... more old-fashioned taste

Combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & paprika in a shallow dish ...
or if you prefer, in a gallon-size storage bag.

Wash chicken ... & dry a bit.
You want it to be just moist enough for the flour to adhere.

Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, thoroughly covering.
Give it a few minutes to rest, causing the flour coating to dry a bit.

Into an iron skillet, preferably, pour in the oil.
You want it to come up to about one inch in the skillet.
This will cover your chicken about half way.

When the oil is hot,
{sprinkle in a tiny bit of the flour ... if it bubbles up, it's hot & ready},
begin adding chicken to the skillet.
Do not overcrowd.

Fry for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
Turn each piece over & repeat.

Here's the key ... turn the heat down to low-medium.
The browning has already taken place.
Now, you want to cook until the inside is done.
If you cook it low & slow, it will be moist & tender.

Don't put on a lid!
You'll lose your crispy coating if you do.

As for an exact cooking time, I can't give you that.
Depends on the size of the chicken pieces.
All in all, I'd say 35-45 minutes is a good rule of thumb.
You want the inside cooked through, but not overcooked.

I've fried chicken this way so long, I just know when it's done.
If you are unsure though, cut through the largest breast piece.
If the juices run clear, it's done.
Course, the smaller pieces will need to be removed from the pan sooner
or they will be tough & dry.

As they come out of the skillet, place on a paper towel-lined plate 
& loosely cover with foil.
My trick:  I put anything that I am keeping warm in the microwave.
Put it in there, shut the door, & the small space will help it to stay warm.
Don't turn the microwave on, of course ;)

When I'm frying chicken around here, I've got a couple skillets going.
Along with it is usually mashed potatoes, gravy made with the chicken drippings,
green beans & rolls or biscuits.
This meal gets me in touch with my southern roots in a hurry.

Get in there & give this fried chicken a try!

2 comments:

  1. I will try this... I am marinating it right now, but I will do the rest like you said, and I will let you know how it turned out! I love the skin ON!!! 8}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. I have always believed that chicken fries best in cast iron!

    ReplyDelete