Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Flowers Everywhere

Something about spring ~ the sights, smells, & sounds.

Beautiful flowers are budding & blooming as all comes back to life.
The fragrance of those same flowers, sweet & fresh ... along with the cut grass,
removes all doubt that spring has sprung.

And nothing makes my heart happier than hearing those birdies singing.
I wanna throw open the windows so I can hear them louder.

Lately though, I've been most impressed with the beautiful flowers!
Thought I'd show you a few.

Here are the ones that started it all.


I was shopping at Aldi for groceries a few weeks ago 
& they had a huge rack of these gorgeous tulips.
So beautiful was this display that I pulled out my phone right in Aldi & started snapping pics!



In fact, these flowers got me so shook up that when I went to leave the store,
I tried to use my Aldi quarter to start my truck.
I.really.did.that.



So, when I was at Aldi this week, they had a whole new batch of tulips in ...
and guess what I did?!
I bought myself some!



That's right ... I am now the proud owner of these perfect yellow tulips.
I'm worth $3.99, right?!
 
I need to get them out of this yellow paper thingie, but I just don't think I have the right size anything to put them in!
 


Here's a look at what's coming to life in the front flower garden.
My crocuses popped up first ... & how I love them.
They're so delicate & so short-lived.
I have to keep my eye out for them so I can enjoy their fleeting beauty.




Here is one of my Dusty Miller bushes.
Believe it or not, this was one small plant from a flat that I bought a few years back!!



Here's something you may not know about Dusty Millers!
I've learned through the years that although Dusty Millers are sold as an annual,
{meaning you have to plant them each year & they do not come up on their own}
they act like a perennial ... at least mine do!
I do not pull them out or cut them down in the fall when I am cleaning out the beds.
I leave them be & they pretty much look the same throughout the winter.
When spring rolls around, there they are, looking as lovely as ever!
I prune any hard, dead stalks to make room for new growth.




And for my favorite thing in the front garden:  my purple irises!



My sister gave me a start of these several years ago & they've multiplied.
What a great pop of color!

Those lil' yellow stinkers along the edge of the flower bed & have treated 
but are yet refusing to die ;)

I have mad love for my lil' dwarf Japanese maple tree.  I wanted one of these forever ... & James surprised me with this one for Mother's Day a few years back.


Last but not least, we're back in the house for this last flower.
My sons bought me this orchid planter for my birthday which was January 27th.
Look at how beautiful it STILL is!!




What I don't have a pic of is the new flower project.
I've planted some amaryllis bulbs in a planter ... a kit that was given to me as a gift.
I'm anxious to see if they will grow!
If so, I'll post a pic of them in bloom.

Flowers whisper "Beauty!" to the world, even as they fade, wilt, fall.  ~Dr. Sun Wolf

 Flowers have an expression of countenance as much as men or animals.  Some seem to smile; some have a sad expression; some are pensive and diffident; others again are plain, honest and upright, like the broad-faced sunflower and the hollyhock.  
~Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers: A Discourse of Flowers

Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made, and forgot to put a soul into.  
~Henry Beecher, Life Thoughts, 1858

No comments:

Post a Comment