Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mongolian Beef





I just love it when I find a recipe that is spot on!
This one is so delicious.
And pretty too ... just look how pretty.


I wanted to do something with 3 small roasts that I had thawed out,
something other than a traditional roast, potatoes, & carrots
OR the Mississippi Pot Roast that I shared here before.
Just in the mood for something different.
My mind went to one of our favorite Chinese take-out entrees:  Mongolian Beef.
After perusing Pinterest & looking at many recipes,
I found a couple that sounded close & decided to go for it.
I am SO glad I did  --  we totally enjoyed this & I'll definitely make it again.





Crock Pot Mongolian Beef


1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak, cut into stir-fry size strips
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar


Directions:
Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
After placing cornstarch in a bowl, coat each piece of steak & place in crock pot.
Discard any remaining cornstarch.
Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over beef in crock pot.
Slightly stir to distribute liquid throughout the meat.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
Serve over rice.

My additional recipe notes:
I doubled this recipe.
Instead of flank steak, I used 3 small cross rib roasts that I cut into strips, but any cut of beef will work.
That's what great about beef in crock pot recipes.
Any cut will tenderize & come out perfectly.
One recipe called for adding 1/2 cup shredded carrots in the crock pot with all the other ingredients
& sprinkling chopped green onions over the top just before serving.
I, however, didn't have these 2 ingredients on hand, so I made it without either.

I stir-fried some broccoli & onions -- and baked egg rolls to go along with the beef & rice.



So, if you get a hankering for some yummy 'Chinese-style' cuisine, this is the recipe try.



Who doesn't love a good party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.

Monday           C.R.A.F.T    Amaze Me Monday  The Dedicated House
                     I Should Be Mopping the Floor     The Hankful House     The Modest Mom
Tuesday        A Delightsome Life   A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                    The Thrifty Home   A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday    Between Naps on the Porch   Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday      Rooted in Thyme  The Thrifty Groove   Farm Blog Hop  Best of the Nest
               French Country Cottage  The Girl Creative
Sunday    Nifty Thrifty Things  Sew Many Ways

4 comments:

  1. I'll be trying this on Sunday! :) My husband doesn't eat chicken, so I am ALWAYS looking for new beef recipes. Seems so many of mine are just another version of beef roast and I get sooo tired of it! Thanks for some new inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya! Not eating chicken would certainly limit the menu options ;) I hope you all like this recipe as much as we did! Thanks for visiting & Happy New Year.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love Mongolian Beef - I want to give this a try! I'd be happy to have you share this post with us on our Awesome Life Friday Link Up! http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda =) Thanks for visiting & for the invite! Blessings~

      Delete