Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mississippi Pot Roast

Roast in the crock pot ... makes the whole house smell delicious.
Comfort food at its finest, a beef pot roast is one of our very favorite suppers.

I generally make it the same way every time,
with an envelope of dry onion soup & a can of cream of mushroom soup {makes thee best gravy!}.

However, there's a recipe floating around Pinterest that caught my attention & I wanted to give it a try --
mainly because one of the ingredients is pepperoncini peppers & I LOVE, LOVE those things!
The other reason, well, I have confidence in recipes that have the name 
'Mississippi' in the title!
I LOVE Mississippi Mud Cake -- and -- I make a mean batch of Mississippi Potatoes.
{I'm ganna blog that recipe one of these days.}

So, let me cut to the chase & go ahead & tell ya, make out your grocery list to include these ingredients!
This recipe is a keeper.


Here are your ingredients:



I modified the recipe a bit.
I used two beef roasts, about 6 pounds altogether.
After placing the roast in the crock pot, sprinkle the 2 envelopes of brown gravy
& 1 envelope of dry ranch dressing over the top.
Next, lay the stick of butter on the roast & put in the peppers.
I was extra generous with these cause we like them so much, probably using about 1 cup.
In addition, I poured in a bit of the juice, maybe a 1/4 cup or so.



I used the banana pepper rings, which taste almost exactly like the pepperoncinis.
I buy them in the very large jar cause we go through them quite quickly.
You can use the whole pepperoncinis just as well.
Instead of the brown gravy, you could use two envelopes of au jus.


The most important rule:  DO NOT ADD WATER!
This, all by itself, makes an amazing gravy!!
It's almost like magic.

What an easy recipe, huh?
Put all this in the crock pot, set it on low & in about 6-8 hours, your roast will be absolute perfection.

And since this one was SO delicious, I tried another recipe very similar to this that I saw Ree
{Pioneer Woman} make on her cooking show.
I'll share that recipe tomorrow.
Be sure & come back.

Is your stomach growling yet?
I know mine is.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday         Make It Yourself Monday        The Better Mom       C.R.A.F.T     
Tuesday    A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                   Women Living Well    The Thrifty Home     A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday      The Shabby Creek Cottage     Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday    Happy-Go-Lucky     The Thrifty Groove      Farm Blog Hop
Sunday  Suburbsmama    Sew Many Ways




14 comments:

  1. I'll be at your house for dinner! :) Your posts are wonderful! Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over, Ashley =) I sure love every one of your sweet comments.

      Delete
  2. Added this one to my "Recipes to try" list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, That seems an unusual recipe. I need to use my crock pot more. I have two and one my husband takes on his fishing trips. Our snow we had didn't last...yippee. I am just never ready for winter any more...it seems to last way too long. My daughter lives up by Elkhart and she gets lake effect snows lots. Take care Angela. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too -- different -- & I like different things. It is DEELISH =) My mom really dreads winter too. You sure have to gave the right frame of mind to make the most of it instead of letting it overtake you, huh?! Keep warm over there, Susie =)

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I love these peppers, so I may try this version next time. Love your blog, by the way!
    Dee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee -- hope you like it! And thanks for the sweet compliment about the blog!

      Delete
  6. I love peppers and this sounds soooooooooooooooo good. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too -- the peppers is what got me on this one -- SO good!

      Delete
  7. This sounds so yummy! I have never thought of using gravy packets; thanks for the tip! Thanks for the inspiration! My tummy is growling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, in the crock pot, until this recipe. I'd sometimes make the gravy on the stove top to serve over the roast, but this saves a step =)

      Delete