Monday, August 3, 2015

Refrigerator Pickles





Here's a quick and easy recipe for Refrigerator Pickles.
What's especially nice about this one, you don't need a canner!
{Good thing cause I don't have one.}

I hunted down a recipe for Refrigerator Pickles for that very reason ...
I don't have a canner, but have plenty of cucumbers coming on.

I remembered seeing an episode of the Duggar's where they'd experimented in canning their own pickles.
It looked easy enough & I'm glad to report, it is!
I made several batches last year was completely pleased.

Aren't these so purty ;)



Now, I have searched HIGH and LOW for the exact recipe I used & I am so sad that I cannot find it!
{and mad that I spent so much time trying to find it ...grr!}
{Anyhoo, sorry for venting about that.}
This one is pretty close though.

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds of cucumbers
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 8 cloves garlic peeled
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh dill  
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
  • 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp. black pepper
  • 8 cups water
  • 3/4 cups cider vinegar
Instructions
  1. Combine the water, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, and dried dill in a large kettle and bring to a boil. 
  2. Heat until the salt dissolves.
  3. Meanwhile, divide all the remaining ingredients between 4 quart jars.
  4. Pour the brine over the cucumbers and put the lids on the jars. Give each jar a shake to mix all the ingredients together.
  5. Let the jars sit on the counter until cooled, about an hour, and then put them in the fridge. They are ready to eat in 24-48 hours & will last for 4-6 weeks in the fridge.

*You can taste your brine before you pour it over the cucumbers.
If it's too salty, add a bit of sugar til it balances out.

**Also, pickles can be sliced or speared, whatever your preference.
And garlic cloves can be whole, sliced, or diced.
Again, up to you.
Lastly, if you don't want your pickles spicy, leave out the jalapeno &/or red pepper flakes.



My daughter-n-law, Abigail, has been making refrigerator pickles too.
I'm not sure what recipe she used, but ours look pretty similar.







Who doesn't love a good party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.

Monday           Amaze Me Monday  The Dedicated House
                     I Should Be Mopping the Floor     The Hankful House     The Modest Mom
Tuesday        A Delightsome Life    A Bowl Full of Lemons  
                                    Titus Tuesday  A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style      
                              The Thrifty Home   A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday    Between Naps on the Porch    Katherines Corner 3D Lessons for Life
           Hope in Every Season     Lamberts Lately
Friday      Rooted in Thyme  The Thrifty Groove   Farm Blog Hop  Missional Women  Best of the Nest
                                French Country Cottage  The Girl Creative
Sunday    Nifty Thrifty Things  Sew Many Ways

1 comment:

  1. I will be making these this weekend! I have also been looking for a good recipe and this looks perfect.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Fondly,
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete