Thursday, February 17, 2011

Loaded Ultimate Sandwiches

We LOVE sandwiches!

I'd say our love of sandwiches comes from me.
I proudly stand & proclaim that there's not much better than a good ol' bologna sandwich.
{Eckrich garlic is my preference, on soft bread with a slice of onion & a sprinkle of salt.}
That's right, I'm not ashamed of loving bologna in a turkey-lovin' world ;)

Growing up, when my mom would make sandwiches for lunch,
it wasn't just lunch meat on bread.
No, it was an all-out loaded sandwich!
Stacked in between the bread was the meat {sometimes a couple kinds}, lettuce,
tomato, onion, cheese, mayo, & mustard.
At any time, we'd have a variety of lunch meats including bologna {of course}, ham, pickle/pimiento loaf, old-fashioned loaf, pepper loaf & honey loaf.
Those were the meats that our family loved.
I'm not even sure turkey was even being sold in the deli case ;)

We always had Bonnie bread {which I haven't seen on the shelf in a looong time until we started camping in Berne, IN -- they still carry Bonnie brand there}.

I had to snap a picture to show my mom.

I'll have to admit though, I don't always get out all the fixin's & occasionally,
the boys get the hankering for a sandwich like 'Mamaw makes 'em.'

One day last summer, Garrett & Gunnar decided they'd make lunch for all of us.
They called it "The Ultimate Sandwich!"
They're very saucy guys {just like their dad}, so they had fun doctoring up the mayo
with various spices, coming up with a chipotle mayo that is top-notch!
I must say, there's been some amazing sandwiches coming out of this kitchen!

I decided that I'd start a segment on the blog about these, paying homage to the sandwiches we love.
They are different every time, but way delicious!
These keep lunch exciting!
Subway, eh, who needs 'em =)




Sandwich #1
This toasty one included corned beef, ham, lettuce, spinach leaves, onion, pepperoncini, American cheese, mustard, mayo {w/smoked paprika & cracked black pepper added in}.





Sandwich #2
This one is a loaded turkey w/toasted bread.  It has horseradish, mayo, mustard, pickle, onion, lettuce, & spinach leaves.




Sandwich #3
This is a ham & turkey topped w/hot & spicy mayo, mustard, onion, lettuce, pepperoncini, pickle, & American cheese.

There's about a hundred sandwiches eaten ... that just weren't lucky enough to get their picture taken.
From here on, I'll try to add new ones on from time to time.

In the mean time, go make yourself an ultimate sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment