Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Our Plan of Attack for 2013

I posted this pic on James' FB page ... we are claiming it!


Life can get away from ya if you don't have a plan.
Minutes turn to hours & hours into days ... & before you know it, 
a whole entire month has passed by.
As I look back over the last maaany years of my life, 
it seems like they've flown by at breakneck speed.
And I don't like it.
I don't like it one bit, but the reality is, I cannot stop the clock.
The only way I have found to somewhat make peace with this is  
to make every day count. 
And ya know, I used to be pretty good at it.
The last couple of years though, not so much.
Instead, I've kinda let life happen to me.
Seems I've been moving in slow motion, a bit lethargic, just going with the flow.
I haven't had much of a plan, no real motivation, no zest for life.
And I am so over it.
Enough already.

I thought I was at rock bottom for several years now, but no.
Rock bottom came from about September on ... & especially in December.
I knew there was no way out but up.
I was at the end of my rope ... & it was either fall off OR start climbing up.
I chose to climb.

No more drifting here & there from whatever current wind was blowing ...
without a destination, without a course of action, without a plan.
No more.
It's my life.
I must get a hold of the wheel & start steering in the right direction.

Armed with my new positive attitude ... my sink or swim motivation, 
I started formulating a plan.

On New Year's Eve, James & I went to dinner ... & we talked, took notes, & planned.
James, knowing full well that I was at that rock bottom place, 
had already been working on his plans for 2013 ... 
not only for him, personally, spiritually, & professionally, but for me as well.
He wasn't planning on leaving me behind.
His exact words were this, "YOU are my project for 2013."
He said he would do whatever it takes to help me shake off every problem 
& move strongly ahead, making peace & putting to rest all the things 
that have been taking up too much space in my head ... & in my heart.
I truly felt like I was being rescued ... like help had shown up right on time.


James is ALL these things to me.  He's my rock.


Within the next couple days, we had mapped it all out & we ready to move forward.
Full speed ahead.

Our 1st order of business:  GET HEALTHY!
We decided to start counting calories.
He's using the My Fitness Pal app & I am keeping a food journal.
In essence, we're both journaling, 
only I am doing it the old fashioned way ... paper & pen.
I'm tracking every single thing I eat & the calories, 
along with my liquid intake each day, the vitamins I've taken, 
& how much exercise I've done.
I'm writing down how I've felt physically, mentally, etc ... 
& general notes about what's gone on in my day.
{I saw a lady interviewed in December ... she has food journaled for 7 years & has successfully kept off 100+ lbs!  She attributed much of her success to journaling.}

We decided how many calories we wanted to use each day & the amount of of exercise.
Our food plan was to cut out processed & fast food, lower our carbs,
& very little food consumption after dinner.
Our liquid intake was upped to a minimum of 96 oz per day.
And I'm happy to report that as of today, January 29, 
James has lost 15 lbs & I have lost 9!
I'd say it's been a pretty successful month, right?! =)

We've eaten out a few times this month ... & each time, we've looked up the calories
for the restaurant ahead of time & have chosen wisely from the nutritional info.
We've also discovered sweet Italian turkey sausage links ... delicious.
We've enjoyed lots of Greek yogurt & have tried many new 'skinny' recipes found on Pinterest.
{I'll be sharing those periodically.}

For extra motivation, we decided to pick a different phrase to use each month of this year.
This month, we decided to use the phrase POWER THROUGH! 
I wrote it on our kitchen chalkboard so we see it every day.
We have said it & have texted it to each other countless times.
I woke up to find this little sign that James had made sitting on our bathroom counter ...
& there it stayed the whole month long.
{This goes along with yesterday's post.}


It really sums up our state of mind for this whole month.
We've powered through on the treadmill.
We've powered through our negative thoughts ... 
& powered through our desires for junk.
We CAN power through much more than we give ourselves credit for!


The second main thing in our plan was for each month to have a theme of sorts.
January's theme has been SIMPLIFY.



This is nothing new.
I am always in a 'simplify' kind of mood.
But for this month, everyone had to get on board.
The closets have been cleaned out, the garage cleared, & lots of Goodwill donations made.
{The biggest donation was about 340+ books!!  I'll have to tell you about that one soon.}
James has cleaned out his office & I've been decluttering kitchen drawers & cabinets.
It feels sooo good.
Our whole entire home feels lighter & airier.

Our 3rd main goal was to plan in advance everything that could be planned in advance!
So, we sat down with our calendars & started getting things marked down.
We penciled in potential daycations, vacations, weekend & camping trips. 

We also decided to be more vigilant in visiting family this year ... those near & not so near.
Those trips were marked on the calendar.

And the biggest achievement of all, we mapped out the year for our church.
We have activities lined up & new plans to put into action.
We must be about Father's business, greater this year than ever before.

I work in the worship department, so for nearly this whole month, 
I've organized & planned for 2013, preparing for our best year yet.

I'm sure, as with any set of plans, there will be adjustments along the way.
But I have to admit, it is truly exhilarating to have the whole year penciled in!!
I feel so ahead of the game!

I read that one of the most important steps in planning & setting goals 
is to write them down.
It's the difference between having a 'ok' life ... or a life that you absolutely love!
It's the difference between 'getting by' ... 
or being successful in creating true happiness in your life.


Sounds like a win-win to me.
While I'm in no hurry for this year to pass by,  I am already anticipating writing
 my year-end review blog post ... my highlight reel for 2013.
I know I'll have a whole year of accomplishments to be proud of.
I know I will say that 2013 truly was our year.


For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 
from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 
that according to the riches of his glory 
he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,  
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—
that you, being rooted and grounded in love,  
may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length 
and height and depth,  
and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, 
that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, 
according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus 
throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
~Ephesians 3:14-21


2 comments:

  1. All in all sounds like a pretty successful January! Good luck for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I feeling pumped! =)

    ReplyDelete