Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Throw What You Got in the Pot!





I've been on a kick lately of working through what we've got in the pantry & the freezer.
Dinners have been based around the ingredients I've had on hand.

My pantry and fridge generally looks like a little mini grocery store.
I have all my staples and lots of other items in between.
I usually buy what's on sale to keep the pantry stocked & then I base our meals off that.
Sometimes I have specific things in mind that need exact ingredients,
but my usual style of cooking is a meat and a couple sides.
I always have certain things here to build from -- our favorites -- the usuals.

You know how it is, sometimes you stock up & stock up ...
and at some point, you need to eat what you have before you buy anymore.

That's where I've been lately  -- determined to use my freezer and pantry stock.

I'm happy to say that the garage freezer meat is gone,
with the exception of one lone roll of Bob Evans sausage & one package of turkey bacon.
I used my last package of ground beef on Tuesday.

Why does that make me happy?
Because I like to use the items while they are 'fresh' and I feel accomplished that I've stuck to my mission.

While my pantry is far from empty, I've used things that needed to be used.
Now that we are entering the winter/holiday season,
I'll be stocking up on the necessary baking ingredients.
You never know when you may be invited to a get-together ...
or the cookies you'll need bake right before you watch a Christmas movie. 

All that being said, I wanted to share a delicious soup recipe that I came up with the other night.
I knew what I had on hand, my starting ingredients, so I googled GOULASH recipes to get
a general idea on what direction to head.
The end result:  sheer soupy heaven!
I'll definitely be making this one again.

There's nothing better than a big kettle of soup simmering on the stove ... well, until it hits your mouth, that is.


So, I've lovingly called this soup "Throw What You Got in the Pot Goulash."
(In case you don't know what goulash is, click here.)

1 lb ground beef
1 lb breakfast sausage (I used Bob Evans)
1 32 oz box beef broth
1 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 16 oz can chili beans, undrained
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2-4 cups of water (depending on thickness desired)
2 cups uncooked macaroni
variety of peppers, chopped (I used 1 green, one red, one purple - yes it was purple)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
sprinkle of crushed red pepper

Brown the ground beef & sausage together & drain off.
Add in peppers, onions, & spices & simmer together for 5-10 minutes to develop flavor.
Add all the remaining ingredients & stir well.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Serve when the macaroni is cooked through (approx. 30 minutes minimum).

Top with shredded cheese & a dollop of sour cream, if desired.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who doesn't love a party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.

Monday         Make It Yourself Monday        The Better Mom       C.R.A.F.T     
Tuesday    A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                   Women Living Well    The Thrifty Home     A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday      The Shabby Creek Cottage     Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday    Happy-Go-Lucky     The Thrifty Groove      Farm Blog Hop
Sunday  Suburbsmama    Sew Many Ways






6 comments:

  1. I can't take it! Coming to your house for dinner!!! These posts make me so hungry! Bless you, sweet friend. Wishing you an amazing rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - it's been a pretty good week for food around here ;) Have a great weekend, Ashley.

      Delete
  2. This is always such a great kind of meal! When my kids were little and I needed to stretch the budget we would make goulash from what we had! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup does just that. Thanks for the link-up, Linda.

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite kind of meal. Garbage soup. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete