Monday, November 23, 2015

Charlie Brown Party + homemade oatmeal cream pies!


A homemade oatmeal cream pie 
(or an amish oatmeal whoopie pie)
(whatever you want to call it is ok by me)



+ a towering stack of other sweets




+ a Peanuts movie ...
 and you've got yourself a grown up Charlie Brown party!




It's tradition for our family to watch Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown together.
And it's also tradition for me to make some sweets for the occasion.
This year, I decided to try and duplicate a delectable treat that I had in July
on our anniversary trip to Amish country.




After researching lots of recipes, I decided on a couple & these little lovelies were the outcome!
I wouldn't say that I will stick with this recipe combo 100%, but it was certainly a good start!
These were delicious!
The one that I'm trying to recreate had a bit more of a spice to the cookie 
& I think I want a 'less sweet' filling.
Or maybe if I get the cookie spiced just right, the filling will be ok just like it is.
You can guarantee that I'll try again til I get it right.
(And when I do, I'll share the recipe.) 




There wasn't a single complaint though ... in fact, just the opposite.
Everyone thought they were amazing!

Every single year, I always make chocolate chip cookies for this special family night.
This year, I decided to use these espresso chips in place of the traditional chocolate chips.
And boy oh boy, it was a yummy substitution!






 And for the last sweet treat, I decided on these pumpkin chip blondies!
I followed the recipe on the back of the Tollehouse bag.
They were very soft & tasty. 




For our meal, we had a summer sausage & cheese appetizer...




& a big kettle of cheesy potato soup, lots of toppings & fixings, & buttery garlic bread!






 And what's a party without some fun grape & orange bottled sodas?!




It's hard for me to resist seasonal paper products.
That's why these straws & little bowls had to come home with me. 




To end the night, everyone took home their 'tricks or treats'. 
Each little bag had lots of Snickers, Twix, M&Ms, 
& an oatmeal cream pie.
(No rocks ;) )




My mom gave me these vintage paper sacks.
She'd had a unopened package of these for maybe 30 years or so!
They were the perfect size for the oatmeal cream pie. 




I love, love making a fun evening like this for my kids!
And even though they are grown, they like it just as much as they did when they were small.
And who am I kidding, I get just as much as a kick out of it as anyone!!

(Hard to believe that it's days away from Thanksgiving!
I wanted to go ahead & share this post anyway even though it's a bit late.)

Hope you all have thoroughly enjoyed autumn this year!
It's been perfect weather here & one of the prettiest fall seasons I remember in a while.

Blessings to you all~









Who doesn't love a good party?!
You can find me here linking up with these great blogs.


Monday           Amaze Me Monday     Coastal Charm    The Dedicated House
                     I Should Be Mopping the Floor     The Hankful House     The Modest Mom
Tuesday        A Delightsome Life    A Bowl Full of Lemons  
                                    Titus Tuesday  A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style      
                              The Thrifty Home   A Wise Woman Builds Her Home
Thursday    Between Naps on the Porch    Katherines Corner 3D Lessons for Life
           Hope in Every Season     Lamberts Lately
Friday      Rooted in Thyme  The Thrifty Groove   Farm Blog Hop   Flea Market Friday   Missional Women
 Best of the Nest  Anything Blue Friday   French Country Cottage  The Girl Creative
Sunday    Nifty Thrifty Things   Simple Saturdays    Sew Many Ways

No comments:

Post a Comment