Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Saving money without coupons - Kroger



If you are a couponer, you know that Kroger no longer doubles coupons.
And Meijer has followed suit, only doubling until the 25th of this month.

Kroger has advertised that their prices have lowered throughout the store ...
& I am happy to report that I've noticed the price drops!
Yay!

I been comparing prices & across the board, I've seen a change.
The biggest drop that I've found is in the health & beauty department, especially in make up ...
I'm talking a $3 - $4 price difference on the regular price at Kroger compared to CVS.
That's a big price difference!

Another thing I've been enjoying are the freebie items that Kroger has offered each Friday.
I've gotten free shampoo, toothpaste, & various other items.
These are loaded from the Kroger site right on to your Plus card.

Meijer is doing the same thing -- offering free items through the mPerks program.
I've gotten free milk, eggs & Jif peanut butter.

What I wanted to show you today, though, is how to save at Kroger without using coupons.
Our store has a markdown aisle & you just never know what you'll find there.

Yesterday, there were lots of medicines.
Since it'll be cold season before we know it, I decided that they were worth stocking up on.

I paid $9.33 for the following:

2 Chapstick lip balms - .39 each
2 Halls lozenges  - .59 each
1 Robitussin  -  1.99
3 Nyquil  -   5.38 for all 3





At CVS, the 2-pack of Nyquil sells for $12.99.
At that, it would've been $3 more than I paid for all of these items put together!


Last night, not only did I find some goodies on the mark down aisle, it was a cha-ching at the meat case!


 3 T Bone steaks that were $11.99 per pound -- marked down to $3.88 per pound!




This pork shoulder will be awesome in the smoker.
It was originally $2.49 per pound, marked down to $1.74 per pound.
The bad news here ... it didn't ring up the mark down price & I didn't notice til after I got home.
I'll have to take my receipt & this pic to get the difference back.



And to think ... I only stopped in at Kroger to grab a bag of dog food.

This is one way I can lower my grocery bill.
I always take a second to run through the mark down areas of my store just in case there's a bargain.

Here's to stretching my bucks!





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday         Make It Yourself Monday        The Better Mom       C.R.A.F.T     
Tuesday    Domestically Divine     A Bowl Full of Lemons    Titus Tuesday      A Stroll Through Life
Wednesday   Raising Homemakers        Savvy Southern Style         Adorned From Above
                   Women Living Well    Southern Lovely     The Thrifty Home
Thursday      The Shabby Creek Cottage     Serving Joyfully     Lamberts Lately
Friday    Happy-Go-Lucky     The Thrifty Groove      Farm Blog Hop
Sunday  Suburbsmama    Sew Many Ways




13 comments:

  1. I am with you. I always look at the meat dept. and I always find some great markdowns. I shop at Kroeger all the time and their brand is great. You found some great buys too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Kroger brand too ... sometimes prefer it over others! Thanks, Marty for letting me link-up.

      Delete
  2. Angela, You did a fine job of shopping. Great savings all around. I love saving money. And it's getting harder to do. I need to safe for more out of pocket medical and dental insurance...geech. Take care honey and keep up the good work. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank ya, Susie. It's a lot of work but rewarding to know you've kept a bit of your hard-earned money in your own pocket {where it belongs!!} =)

      Delete
  3. I love finding those kind of specials on toiletries and such. I've had good luck at Target, too - just watch the backside end caps for those type of items! Alas, though, it seems I never find those kind of meat specials. Wish I could, though....and wish I had a real freezer to stash the surplus in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane - thanks for visiting! I have done well with those same items at Target! Love shopping their clearance end caps!

      Delete
  4. I don't have a lot of time for clipping coupons, but I was still so disappointed to hear Kroger wouldn't be doubling anymore! But I DID check out the digital coupons, which I hadn't done in quite some time. And I was pleasantly surprised! They had some pretty awesome coupon deals to coincide with their sales and I ended up saving quite a bit of money. If they'll continue deals like that, I definitely won't miss the double coupons!

    Oooo and I LOVE Kroger clearance racks, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back & forth with it. When I have the time, I do it. When I don't, I creatively save in other ways {store brands only, etc}. I have noticed the same, the stores are making the ecoupons match the deals ... & that's working out well. Course, I'll always have my first love, good ol' Aldi. I'm IN & OUT quickly, no coupons, no carts making a mess in the lot, & good deals. Love the green clearance stickers, especially. Have a good weekend, Tanya.

      Delete
  5. You scored some great buys! I truly wish all stores would just do away with coupons and those little "cards" and simply give you a fair price. I know, what "dream world" am I living in....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped using coupons so long ago since most were not worth the effort. I found better prices at store brands and sales. I always check the mark down aisle and love Kroger marked down meats! Great savings. Thanks for sharing these tips at TTF.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beauty of couponing is that you can do it as little or as much as you want. If you only use $10 in coupons a week which takes little effort with the help of all the coupon bloggers you can save $520 a year. Add in price matching and picking up a few extras when your favorite products go on sale and save even more. bluefly promotional code

    ReplyDelete