Monday, November 15, 2010

Homemade Bread Crumbs

Never throw out bread!
There are so many uses for it.


We were camping recently & I bought more hotdog buns than we ended up using.
So, rather than letting them sit in the pantry til they became stale or moldy,
I turned them into bread crumbs to use in meatloaf or breading for chicken, etc.


All you need is a food chopper/processor!
I used 11 hotdog buns & 3 heels of bread.
In a matter of a couple minutes, I filled a gallon-size freezer bag 1/2 full.
Store this in your freezer to maximize freshness.




Our Kroger often has bread clearanced down...sometimes priced as low as a quarter!
I love to find these deals!
I will plan meals around these finds.
For example:  Sub buns for cheap...plan on sub sandwiches for lunch the next day.
Dinner rolls, bagels, english muffins:  stock your freezer with them.
They are perfect in the oven or toaster.
We don't particularly like to use frozen bread for sandwiches, so I use that for french toast or bread pudding.


Be creative...every saving counts!

{Tomorrow, I'll be sharing a recipe I created to make use of some jumbo seeded hamburger buns.  It was a BIG hit with the boys!}

No comments:

Post a Comment