Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Oreos



When I stumbled across this recipe on the internet, I couldn't believe
I hadn't heard of this before .... homemade oreos .... whaaattt?
Being a fan of the o-r-e-o, I knew I'd be promptly giving these a whirl!

Let me tell you, these are delicious x 100
& were a bit hit here at the Pennington's!

This is another one of those, "you're ganna love me for this one" recipes!


Ingredients

For the chocolate cookies:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process or dark cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar 
1 1/4 sticks  (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg


For the filling:
1/2 stick  (1/4 cup) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat to 375°F.

Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar thoroughly, 
using a food processor or an electric mixer. 
While on low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. 
Continue mixing until dough comes together.

Place rounded teaspoons of batter and place on a baking sheet, 
approximately two inches apart, slightly flattening the dough. 
Bake for 9 minutes.
Place baking sheets on a rack to cool.

For the filling, add butter and shortening in a mixing bowl.
At low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. 
Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy. 

To assemble the cookies, put teaspoon-size amounts of cream into the center 
of one cookie & top with another.
Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie. 
Continue until all the cookies have been sandwiched with cream. 

Recipe notes:
If you'd like to tint the cream filling, blend in a tiny bit of gel dye until you reach 
the desired color.
You could do pink for Valentine's Day ... or red & green for Christmas, etc.

Also, the amount of sugar in this recipe is to mimic the not-so-sweet
taste of the chocolate cookie part of the oreo.
If you'd like to make these without the cream, just as a chocolate cookie, 
add an additional 1/2 cup of sugar to sweeten it up.



4 comments:

  1. I think I'm gonna "copy and paste" this! Looks really good!!! Love homemade stuff!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally going to try this. I pinned it so I don't forget. Oreos are my favorites and while I can get them here in Europe I have to pay $4 for a small package of 6! So....next best thing: make them myself. Thanks!!! Popping over from Titus 2sdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squeals, Rosilind! You just made my day! I don't think I've ever had a comment from anyone other than in the USA! I'm glad you can now make your own Oreos & save some $$. We have friends who are missionaries to Poland & Germany. She's told me of the high prices on various things. Helps me to appreciate our prices here, even though they seem to get higher & higher each week.

    Thank you again for leaving me a comment.
    Glad to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete