Monday, September 24, 2012

Walking in the Spirit

Westside Park ~ 2011

Walking in the Spirit.

I just can't seem to get away from this thought lately.

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
~Galatians 5:16

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
~Galatians 5:25 


For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
~Romans 8:14

My day-to-day walk glorifies God so much more when I am walking in the spirit.
My thoughts are right ... my speech is right ... my attitude is right.
I find myself being less frustrated over the little things.
I'm kinder & have more patience.


So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.   
Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, 
but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, 
and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.   
For sin will have no dominion over you ...
~Romans 6:11-14

When I choose to walk in the Spirit, as opposed to walking in the flesh, 
I have an eternal focus.
I tend to look at things from heaven's point of view ... in light of eternity.
It's pretty easy to become focused when I think of anything in light of eternity.

To walk in the Spirit is to follow His leading, 
allowing Him to guide my steps and conform my mind. 

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
~Isaiah 26:3

It's easier to be in a constant state of prayer & meditation when my mind is stayed on Him.

Pray without ceasing.
~1 Thessalonians 5:17

There are great benefits to crucifying the flesh & walking in the spirit.
By faith, choosing to rely on Him to guide me in thought, word, & deed, 
I can demonstrate daily, moment-to-moment holiness 
which brings honor to God.

What is the chief end of man?
To glorify to God & enjoy Him forever.
~Westminster Catechism {1647}

Another benefit of walking in the Spirit,  
my life can show forth the fruit of the Spirit which is 
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. 
{Gal.5:22-23}

Walking in the Spirit is allowing His Word to dwell in us ... living His Word out loud!

When I allow His Word to dwell in me, my heart is filled with thankfulness, singing, & joy!

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another 
in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
~Colossians 3:16

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,  
addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing 
and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always 
and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
~Ephesians 5:18-20

One definition of the work 'walk' says this:  a habitual behavior, a manner of life
I feel God drawing me to just that ... to walk in the Spirit as a habitual behavior, 
a manner of life.
Not just when I'm feeling spiritual ...
Not just when I am in the midst of a mountain-top experience ...
But in the day-to-day ... putting on the 'Spirit' every morning
just as naturally as I put on clothes or put on the morning coffee.

He wants me to see that walking in the spirit will diminish the appetite of the carnal man.
Whatever I let rule me and live out in me, that is what I will have fruit from. 
And whatever I am filled with is what I will minister from.
{Garbage in, garbage out ... I use this favorite analogy often with my children.}

When I am walking in the Spirit {controlled by}, I will think of what is spiritual. 
When my mind is on the Spirit, it is then I can produce spiritual things 
that are pleasing to God.

God is helping me to change the master of my mind. 

“Be transformed by the renewing of the mind” 
~Romans 12:2  


If I am what I think ... & I can choose where I allow my thoughts to dwell,
why wouldn't I choose to bow my heart & mind to the leading & control 
of the Spirit of God?

I am striving to yield to Him my thought life, my wants & desires, my dreams, my world.
I want my desires to be on Christ alone. 
I want Him to control my mind, my heart, and my actions.
It is then, & only then, that I may be pleasing to God. 


Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you 
will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
~Philippians 1:6


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! Sometimes I lose my way, but I am always holding on to God's hand.

    ReplyDelete