Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 15 ~ 30 Days of Thanks

Peace that passes all understanding ...


That is what I am thankful for today.


James took this on an early morning walk on the Isle of Palms, SC {Oct. '11}


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Doesn't this so perfectly encapsulate our human emotion within the first two lines?
One minute, life can be perfectly peaceful.

And in the very next breath, that picture of serenity can be completely erased.
Catastrophe, sadness & sorrow can rock our world without a moments notice.

I am impacted most by the last half of this timeless hymn ...
whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Whatever my lot ... whatever.

I am reminded of Sunday's sermon.
James taught on thankfulness.

In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus
concerning you.   {Thess. 5:18}

In everything.

He concluded with the account of Job.

Loss after loss.
Personal tragedy greater than many of us will ever experience.

Yet the scripture says Job worshipped.
Worshipped!

"Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down
upon the ground, and worshipped, and said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb,
and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away;
blessed be the name of the LORD." {Job 1:20-22}

And the last verse says that during all his unspeakably horrific circumstances,
Job did not sin nor did he charge God foolishly.

I felt so challenged in my spirit ...
challenged to stop all my murmuring & complaining ...
about issues, that when compared to Job's, seem so petty & trivial.

I felt challenged to be filled with thanksgiving at ALL times ...
good or bad...
& when it's bad, to look for ways to be thankful ... even more so then.

James pointed out in the sermon that if I really believe God is sovereign & in control
of all things, then my murmuring is essentially pointed towards Him.

When I'm dissatisfied & disappointed, if I reallllly believe He's in control,
then I'm dissatisfied with Him.

If I really believe that ALL things work together for the good to them that love the Lord,
then I will bless the Lord at ALL times ...
& His praise shall continually be in my mouth!

What a perspective on being thankful.

I don't sit around & complain but I also don't give thanks in all things.
I've got some moving up to do.

And for the icing on the cake:

{isn't it just like God to tie it all together for us}

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with
thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
and minds through Christ Jesus. {Philippians 4:6-7}

No comments:

Post a Comment