Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Not Your Momma's Hushpuppies


Finally!
I meant to share this sooner.
Sorry to those of you who've been waiting & wanting ;)
Trust me, you will invent a reason to stir up a batch of these crispy balls of deliciousness!

I grew up eating homemade hushpuppies {thus the name of the recipe}.
Dad loved to fish ... me too, actually.
He'd come home from work, hook the boat up to the truck & off we'd go to Westwood Lake.
After a nice catch, we'd head home where the fish would be cleaned & fried.
With almost every fish fry, there'd be homemade hushpuppies.
And, I've made them just like my mom did for years ... until a few weeks ago.

James & a buddy had a fishing trip & caught a whole less of 'em ...
& we had a fish fry!
I was feeling a bit 'spicy' in the kitchen & decided to bump up my usual hushpuppy recipe a notch ...
or three!
The outcome ... well, let's just say I've made these a time or two already!

Here's your ingredients:

2 cups self-rising corn meal
1 cup self-rising flour
pinch of salt & pepper
smidge of cayanne pepper & smoked paprika
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 small onion, diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely diced
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 15 oz can cream-style corn
1 egg
water to just bind the ingredients {a thick consistency}

Mix all dry ingredients together.
Add all remaining ingredients, stirring with a spoon.
Add in water, a small amount at a time.
You do not want a watery, thin mixture.
Stir together til just incorporated, but avoid over-mixing.



Drop small golf ball size hushpuppies into hot oil & fry 3-4 minutes, 
or until cooked through & golden brown.
* Tip:  use small cookie scooper to keep the hushpuppies all the same size.

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! These sound wonderful. Saw your link on An Original Belle. I am going to pin these for future use. I grew up eating fish and hushpuppies ever weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I think you'll enjoy them. Can't get much better than fresh fish & hushpuppies =)

    ReplyDelete