Monday, April 9, 2012

Pinterest Review ~ Oven Roasted Veggies

The best broccoli of your life?!

That caught my eye on Pinterest a month or so ago.
Talk about raving over broccoli, this one did!
After reading it through, I decided that I'd roast broccoli using this method 
& see what my fellas thought about it.  


The verdict:  They LOVED it!
They raved about too & agreed that it was their new favorite way to eat broccoli!
I've since been roasting veggies in the oven quite regularly.


Here's how you do it:

Cut your veggies into nice-sized pieces ... here, I'm using broccoli, carrots, & red peppers.
You can use this method for any kind of veggie you'd like.

The key to crisp-tender, caramelized veggies is to make sure they are dry!
I chose not to wash the broccoli ... the high roasting heat will kill any bacteria 
that may be lurking.


Fill your sheet pan ... trust me, you'll want pa-lenty!
Toss with 2 Tbsp. minced garlic, a generous drizzle of olive oil {about 4-5 tbsp.}, 
salt & pepper.
Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.
The edges of some of the veggies will start to brown.

These veggies really get glammed up after they come out of the oven!
Squeeze the juice of a lemon {or lime} over the top & then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I know, right?!

{The original recipe calls for the zest of the lemon, plus basil, pine nuts & more olive oil,
but I chose to leave those ingredients out ... for us, we loved the simpler approach.}

I'm tellin' ya ... you've got to use this method for veggies!
It's over the top.


This recipe originates from The Barefoot Contessa, one of my very favorite cooks.
She's so super smart & know how to do everything in the kitchen ...
I mean she realllly knows how. 
I've learned a lot from watching her.
Although her recipes are very sophisticated, they are also simple.

I especially love her method for baking chicken breasts in the oven & I use it very often.
{Place bone-in, skin on chicken breasts on a sheet pan, sprinkle with salt & pepper, 
& drizzle with olive oil.  Cover loosely with foil & bake for 35-40 minutes at 350.
Perfect & delish, every time.}



2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to tell you that this has become one of my absolute FAVORITE vegetable recipes! I can eat my weight in this stuff! And I've tried cooking it on a baking sheet in my grill a couple times, too, with awesome results. Soooo good!

    Anyway, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazzy good, isn't it!! I haven't made it in several weeks cause I've been trying not to use my oven much with this terrible heat! I'm thinking the grill sounds like a good substitute =)

    ReplyDelete