Friday, April 15, 2011

Little Things



Isn't it funny odd how the 'littlest' injuries can hurt just as bad as the big ones?
Case & point:  burns from the hot glue gun ... & a splinter!

Yesterday, the weather was so beautiful, warm with a gentle breeze ...
it seemed to beckon me outdoors.
I decided to clean out the front flower beds.
Somewhere between the clearing out the dead leaves from last year's irises
& cutting back the holly bush, I got a splinter!

Fast forward a few hours.
I decided to try my hand at a new craft that required hot glue.
I was determined NOT to burn myself.
Don't you know that I stuck my finger right smack in the HOT glue,
not once but 2 TIMES!!

Now, granted, I've experienced pain at a much greater level than that resulting from a tiny splinter & a couple burns blisters from a hot glue gun.
But do you know what my first waking thought was this morning?
It was 'OUCH! My fingers are hurting!'

After examining my poor lil' fingers, I discovered that the splinter
I thought I'd gotten out is still there ....
AND now that the redness is gone from the hot glue, I can see my two lovely blisters!

I began to think about the pain from seemingly 'little' injuries &
how that relates to everyday life.
Little things are the big things!
People remember the little things.
Why? 
Because if they're good things, they are big investments in our emotional account.
Those little kindnesses and courtesies make huge differences in our relationships.
They are the #1 indicators to people showing that you care for them!

On the reverse token, it's the small discourtesies, little unkindnesses & little forms of disrespect make large withdrawals.
Isn't it often the 'little' things in life that hurt so badly?

The first thing that came to my mind is how our words can hurt!
Using sharp, unkind words can crush & wound a spirit quicker than anything.
And unkind words have a close companion ... a harsh tone of voice.
If it's not the words we say, it can be the way in which we say it that's hurtful.

As a wife, we should use words that encourage, uplift, & honor our husband.
We should be his best motivator & trusted confidant.

She brings him good, not harm all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:12

Blessing him with words of praise will be much more beneficial to his spiritual man than tearing down with nagging & negative words.
How we respect & treat our husbands really shows how we respect & honor God.

As equally important, how powerful are the words we use to our children!
I recently had the privilege to meet Michelle Duggar & hear her speak.
She said, "Be sure to praise your children because whoever praises
them will win their hearts."
This is such good advice!
Of course we don't praise wrong behavior, but often times the good behavior goes unnoticed/unpraised as we are quick to point out the faults/failures.
We can use positive words of affirmation & encouragement even when we are correcting!
Instead of reacting in anger, yelling, grumbling, complaining, choose to respond in a Christlike way to these precious gifts God has entrusted to us.
Praise will build their confidence & give them wings to fly.


Here's what the scripture says this about little things:

Song of Solomon 2:15  Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom."

James 3:5  Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment