Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I found this festive recipe in a cooking magazine.
I modified it a bit & it turned out perfectly!

I found these peppers on the mark-down rack at Meijer for .20 each ...
just in time to try this recipe!



Here are the ingredients:
6 large green, sweet red, orange and/or yellow peppers
1 egg, beaten
1  1/2 c. salsa
1  1/2 c. crushed tortilla chips
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tsp. ground cumin
2-3 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 lbs. ground chicken {turkey or beef}
1/2 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
sour cream, hot sauce, salsa to serve as toppings

Cut tops off peppers & remove seeds.



In large bowl, combine egg, salsa, chips, onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin,
chili powder, salt & pepper.
Crumble ground chicken over mixture & mix well; spoon into peppers.
Place into 8x8 baking dish, standing upright.



I used my wok-type skillet ... I knew it'd be the perfect size.
A tip I learned from Rachael Ray for using a skillet in the oven, cover the handle with aluminum foil!



Bake in a 375 oven for 50 minutes.
Top with shredded cheese & return to oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes.


I don't like to waste anything ... so,  for the tops of the peppers that you removed,
chop those up to use in a salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment