Friday, August 12, 2011

Where are the recipes for ALL this zucchini?

If you're like me, sticking to fried zucchini &/or zucchini bread is nooo problem at all ;)
I guess it's nice to branch out every now & again though, huh?!

I've tried a few new zucchini recipes lately  ... & of course, have used several
of my 'tried & true' favorites.
Since we're in the height of zucchini season {if there is such a thing}, I thought I'd pass
some of the deliciousness along to you.
Course, if you grate some of it up & stick it in the freezer like I did, these recipes will
taste mighty fine come fall time.

Here the ingredient that reigns supreme in all the following recipes:

                                                                    Miss ZuQueenie


The recipe I tried most recently was Zucchini Oatmeal Bread ...
{& it was very good - kinda heavy, like a pound cake}.

I found the recipe in one of my most favorite cookbooks.
My hubs surprised me with it ... bought in Amish country, Shipshewana, IN.
See how tricky he is ... buy a cookbook full of yummy recipes = wife in the kitchen
trying out all the new recipes!
It's a win-win situation!


You need these ingredients for 2 loaves:

3 eggs                                            1 tsp. salt
1 c. cooking oil                              1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sugar                                       1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 c. grated zucchini                      3 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. quick oats                               1/2 c. raisins, optional
2 c. flour                                        1/2 c. chopped nuts

Beat eggs til foamy.  Add oil, sugar, zucchini, oats, & vanilla. Mix slightly, but well.
Sift together flour, salt, soda, baking powder, & cinnamon.
Add to batter & mix til blended.  Fold in raisins & nuts.
Spoon batter into greased & floured loaf pans & bake at 325 for 1 hour.

Here's what it looks like right before you pour into the loaf pans.
I know, not too appetizing.
But hey, not everything can look like a cream puff!


Funny thing is, I forgot to take a picture after it baked!
You'll have to bake one to see what it looks like.

The second recipe I'll share if from James' Granny Freda.
Is she ever an excellent cook!
And as strange as it may seem, this recipe is for a SWEET zucchini pie!
I was a bit skeptical at first, but after one bit, I was convinced ...
another great use for this very versatile veggie called zucchini.

Here's the recipe ... it's as easy as, well, pie!

1 c. peeled, cooked and drained zucchini
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. flour
1 c. evaporated milk
1 1/2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Dash of salt
1 unbaked pastry pie shell
cinnamon


Puree cooked zucchini in a blender.
Add sugar, egg, flour, milk, butter, vanilla and salt & process until blended.
Place mixture in pie shell & sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 300.
Continue baking for 20 minutes or until done.

Look how pretty it is!
Riley said this one ranks right up there with his favorite pies.
He described it as tasting like a sugar cream pie, only not as sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment