Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Goodies from Amish Country

We just celebrated our 21st anniversary in Amish country ...
& boy did we take some beee-u-tiful pictures while we were there!
Can't wait to show them to you, but it's going to be a fews days before 
I can get them all edited & posted.

As usual, July is our busy-busy month & this year is no exception.
We got home late Sunday evening & immediately started laundry,
preparing Garrett to working out of state for the whole week.
He headed out early Monday morning.

Yesterday was cleaning, chores, & packing for Gunnar, Riley & me.
We are headed out of town today {through Friday} for a music conference.
Gunnar is singing nightly with a worship ensemble, 
& he & Riley will both be attending classes.
This will be my first year {in 11 yrs} to not participate in this conference,
singing & teaching classes, so it'll be a change for me.
I'm looking forward to hearing Gunnar sing though ... he's been practicing lots.

And this leaves poor James home by himself.
Poor fella.
He hates being home alone & I hate going anywhere without him.

But....back to our Amish trip...
I'll blog about all our anniversary fun in a few days when things settle back down.
We had such a wonderful time & truly hated to see the trip end.
It was so relaxing.
And you all know how much I like the Amish way of life ... well, most of it, anyway.
As I've said before, being in Amish country, it's just good for the soul.

Here are a few quick pics of the food stuffs I picked up while we were there.

These are from a variety of stores, including Heini's Cheese Shop.



We bought 4 different cheeses:  
smoked horseradish, italian garlic & herb, lacy swiss, & smoked jalapeno.
All their cheeses are made with fresh local Amish farm milk.
Not only can you can watch the cheese being made on site, 
you can sample almost every type of cheese they make.

We got a great price on the apple butter & coconut oil ... 
much cheaper than what we pay here.



I needed to stock up on spices & found the perfect bulk store in Ashery for doing just that.
I bought smoked paprika, dried parsley, pumpkin pie spice, cumin, garlic powder,
& taco seasoning {no msg in any of it}.




 From the same little bulk store,  I picked up some cake flour & 2 rolls of butter.


I was quite excited to find some more of these sleeves of pie filling!
This time, I went for chocolate, coconut cream, & bavarian cream.
I am especially excited for the bavarian ... Gunnar loves that stuff.



I am very thankful for the opportunity to get away with my sweet hubby.
It did us good.

Stay tuned for more from our wonderful weekend in Amish country.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I love Amish butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you came home with a loot! I'm really wanting to take a trip to Amish country, although I'm afraid I might break the bank buying Amish cheese! Maybe this fall...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shopping in the amish markets! Yummo! Sounds like it was a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of your shopping for Amish goods. I keep meaning to start cooking with coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete